Thread: Availability of "Batt" insulation?

jwdaigle is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default Availability of "Batt" insulation?

I've looked around in Dumaguete for so called "batt" insulation and have not found any suppliers. Does anyone know if it is available here?

I am not a builder nor do I have any real construction knowledge, but was recommended to me as a good way to sound insulate a room/office I am having built inside a larger office area.

The guy building it is using double walled hardiflex, and is talking about put egg cartons in between to insulate. I've been told that batt insulation will do a much better job, but I cant seem to find a source for it here in our great city.

Any pointers greatly appreciated...

Joe

PatO is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwdaigle View Post
    I've looked around in Dumaguete for so called "batt" insulation and have not found any suppliers. Does anyone know if it is available here?

I am not a builder nor do I have any real construction knowledge, but was recommended to me as a good way to sound insulate a room/office I am having built inside a larger office area.

The guy building it is using double walled hardiflex, and is talking about put egg cartons in between to insulate. I've been told that batt insulation will do a much better job, but I cant seem to find a source for it here in our great city.

Any pointers greatly appreciated...

Joe
    Joe, my builder uses Roxul batt soundproofing and has some in stock. If interested, you can pm me. He is located on the hiway a kilometer south of the mall.

Knowdafish is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Styrofoam sheets, if thick enough, also makes good soundproofing, though they won't be the cheapest solution. I've seen and heard garage music studios insulated with styrofoam and spray foam and the before and after is amazing! The key to good soundproofing is to use materials of differing densities, as the different materials/densities will each block a different sound wave.

muddyfeet is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I've built several sound proof rooms for commercial use. There is a product called sound board that I've used, usually inconjunction with other materials but the absolute best product is sheetrock layered, as many as four sheets thick on a wall and ceilings. Obviously you have to have a substantial structural system to handle that much weight on the ceiling.

As one of the other posters commented about using styrofoam is a good idea.

You can build panels of styrofoam, perhaps 2" thick and wrap them with cloth material and have studs that hold them away from the wall and place them around the room also helps.

It is mostly mass of sound absorbing materials that you need to stop sound. My work was on conference rooms for large Corps that were trying to prevent competitors from using sensitive equipment to record their conversations, i also built radio stations studios.

Dean