Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Beef Tenderloin from Hypermart - What a Mistake!

xyzimgone is offline Lost in the Woods
    Thanks

Default Beef Tenderloin from Hypermart - What a Mistake!

You would think, after being here for over 4 years, I would be smart enough not to fall into this trap, but .... yesterday, while getting groceries, I saw a small beef tenderloin in the freezer at Hyper. It wasn't yet frozen so I thought I would give it a shot; fresh beef on the grill! I ate tenderloin from old dairy cows in Canada before; it was cheap, edible and still tender as the name would imply so I thought, with my years of barbequing experience, I could whip up a half-decent steak. It had to be good at Php685 per kilo, right? What a mistake! I would have been better off cooking my flip-flops. I have never eaten meat so tough in my life. My wife told me I could have boiled it for 4 hours and it would have been tender like Bulalo, haha. The kids have been at the table for half an hour and they are still chewing. At least their jaws will be too sore to make too much noise tonight. Even our helper is threatening to take me to court for cruel and unusual punishment!

I've learned my lesson.
    Manzanita, DavyL200 and mntnwolf like this.

DavyL200 is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Best stick to the pork tenderloin there Steve,can't go wrong with that!
    bacongapartments.com

Thanks

Yeah, their pork is fine. I thought about giving the rest of the beef to the neighbour's dog but I am scared to be charged with cruelty to animals!
    rechel and DavyL200 like this.

expatron is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I think I saw that old cow pulling a fully loaded, broken down sugarcane truck to the mechanic next to the slaughterhouse this morning..

Thanks

Was it grey with big, round horns pointing backwards? I think I saw it in a rice field a couple days ago also! Did it look like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beef Tenderloin from Hypermart - What a Mistake!-unnamed-1-.jpg  
    expatron likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xyzimgone For This Useful Post:

Don (10-11-2012)

divephil is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DavyL200 View Post
    Best stick to the pork tenderloin there Steve,can't go wrong with that!
    Totally agree with you

Rhoody is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    You would think, after being here for over 4 years, I would be smart enough not to fall into this trap, but .... yesterday, while getting groceries, I saw a small beef tenderloin in the freezer at Hyper. It wasn't yet frozen so I thought I would give it a shot; fresh beef on the grill! I ate tenderloin from old dairy cows in Canada before; it was cheap, edible and still tender as the name would imply so I thought, with my years of barbequing experience, I could whip up a half-decent steak. It had to be good at Php685 per kilo, right? What a mistake! I would have been better off cooking my flip-flops. I have never eaten meat so tough in my life. My wife told me I could have boiled it for 4 hours and it would have been tender like Bulalo, haha. The kids have been at the table for half an hour and they are still chewing. At least their jaws will be too sore to make too much noise tonight. Even our helper is threatening to take me to court for cruel and unusual punishment!

I've learned my lesson.

... my Son, you should study the bible more intense...

Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns and he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner... Deuteronomy 14:21
    Last edited by Rhoody; 10-10-2012 at 10:22 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhoody For This Useful Post:

Knowdafish (10-12-2012)

brian ausie is offline DI Member
    Thanks

That’s the one I seen it in the field dead for 3 days before they finally hooked chains around its head and dragged it off to the slaughter house.

QUOTE=SteveB;1851879825]Was it grey with big, round horns pointing backwards? I think I saw it in a rice field a couple days ago also! Did it look like this?[/QUOTE]

Dave & Imp is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default tenderize it

I purchased a kitchen utensil that was made of about 50 little knifes that puncher the meat. It does tenderize the meat. I do not know if it would work on the piece of meat you mentioned. I had given up buying beef here because the toughness and lack of taste. This tool does help the tenderness issue. I purchased some "texas barbeque" beef at Lee Plaza is which has some taste, but not the most tender, but I forgot to use the tenderizer on it. The sauce on it was sort of sweet.

Broadside is offline DI Member
    Thanks

The quality of meat here shouldn't surprise anyone. There is no animal welfare and no expertise in slaughtering techniques. The animal is not stunned or otherwise anaesthetised first and is killed by hacking and slashing at its' throat. The creature dies in a blood-letting frenzy, causing it to pump huge amounts of adrenalin around its' body in a desperate attempt to survive. The meat is already sub-standard before the animal has drawn its' last breath.
    Don't be a slave to your past - be the architect of your future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast