Thread: Where are you most welcome...?

onlymichael is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default Where are you most welcome...?

I have not been to too many cities in the P.I. but I have to rate Dumaguete high on friendliness towards foreigners. Cebu was friendlier than Manila, which had the most bad vibes. Maybe I haven't been here long enough but I have to say the people in this Country have by and large treated me well, except for government fees and bureaucracy. Even the security guards here, much as I dislike not having free access to stores, have been nice in the main. In contrast to the USA where alot of people are mean spirited and rude. I think the poverty here is what drives most of the bad behavior when it happens. I have experience very little foreigner directed hostility so far, but I do occasionally get the "look of death" from the villagers nearby, but no more. What's your experience?

Cutie ladybug is offline DI Member
    Thanks

You do have know to there is friendliness at a business-which may be mandated, and genuine friendliness.
    Fast this Life of mine was dying
    Blind already and calm as Death
    Snowflakes on her bosom lying
    Scarcely heaving with her breath
    Love came by, and having known her
    In a dream of Fabled Lands

firefly is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Friendliness of local people has never been a problem for foreigners living here or tourist.
    The problem is red tape, corruption and of course lack of discipline in general.

onlymichael is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Friendliness of local people has never been a problem for foreigners living here or tourist.
    The problem is red tape, corruption and of course lack of discipline in general.
    Red tape, a big YES, terrible here and this is a form of government corruption. The corruption I have found is built in to the system which is biased against foreigners. Other than that I have not been asked for any bribes (yet) and the only people who have tried to cheat me are commercial drivers for two-3 pesos and landlord shemes. Actually their schemes may just be the way they do things here, making the foreigner pay for essentials that come free in other countries.

I would not use "lack of discipine". I would say it's more a matter of ignorance and low standards, common among the chronically poor in 3rd world countries. Filipinos are often incredibly hard workers from what I have seen.