Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RALPHHOGAN

Thread: Ocean Pollution in and near Dumaguete

onlymichael is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default Ocean Pollution in and near Dumaguete

I am staying about 10km N. or Dumaguete. I have swam all over mexico and oceans on both USA coasts with no problems.

Only here am I getting rashes and stings from the water. It's either jelly fish larvae or parasites. The water looks clear, except for the morons to dump their clothes and other crap occasionally in the ocean but I will not continue to swim here if I keep breaking out. Anyone know of any cities or places close to Dumaguete that do not have this problem? A friend closer to Dumag will not swim at all due to bad ocean water even though he owns land on the beach.

brian ausie is offline DI Member
    Thanks

My asawa was swimming at Dauin about 2 weeks ago and had about 3 big what appeared to be scrapes on her face, it may have been that we were playing volley ball on the beach and she scratched her own face with her nails, but may have been a sting?
    Quote Originally Posted by onlymichael View Post
    I am staying about 10km N. or Dumaguete. I have swam all over mexico and oceans on both USA coasts with no problems.

Only here am I getting rashes and stings from the water. It's either jelly fish larvae or parasites. The water looks clear, except for the morons to dump their clothes and other crap occasionally in the ocean but I will not continue to swim here if I keep breaking out. Anyone know of any cities or places close to Dumaguete that do not have this problem? A friend closer to Dumag will not swim at all due to bad ocean water even though he owns land on the beach.

Manzanita is offline DI Member
    Thanks

It's probably whats referred to as "sea lice". Little microscopic jellyfish-like creatures. Usually wearing a t-shirt will protect you from them.

OnMyWay is offline DI Member
    Thanks

we get the same here in Dauin. Itches and small welts.....

Manzanita is offline DI Member
    Thanks

More on sea lice and treatment of their bites....

Sea Lice Bites

Ocean Pollution in and near Dumaguete-sea-lice-1.jpg

RALPHHOGAN is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I used to get these rashes all the time from diving and snorkeling. They last about a week and come from very thin thread-like filaments suspended in the water which are barely visible. A T-shirt would work but a better solution is sold at Adventure Dive and has long sleeves. I bought 2 of them there a few years back and the problem was solved. I can't remember the cost but it was well worth it considering they protect from the sun as well.
    shadow and PatO like this.