Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Security - dogs, steel bars, alarms etc.

JROK is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default Security - dogs, steel bars, alarms etc.

I have seen puppies for sale but where do I buy a dog old enough to be useful to keep out intruders? What breed do you suggest - is a pit bull type necessary or would a big family type dog like a labrador do the job?

Would a motion detector alarm be useful and is there a specific model and place to buy it that you would recommend?

Do you have steel security bars on windows/doors?

Any other tips on how you keep your houses safe would also be very helpful...

jimeve is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JROK View Post
    I have seen puppies for sale but where do I buy a dog old enough to be useful to keep out intruders? What breed do you suggest - is a pit bull type necessary or would a big family type dog like a labrador do the job?

Would a motion detector alarm be useful and is there a specific model and place to buy it that you would recommend?

Mother-in-law
    shadow, KTM, Pedro and 2 others like this.

clear copy is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I've always used the Japanese Spitz breed as my guard dog. This noisy small breed is very territorial and barks at anyone they don't recognize who approaches our gate. Last year alone I bought some anti-rabies vaccine for a meter reader who entered our house. I've got 3 of these lovely creatures patrolling my house.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clear copy For This Useful Post:

JROK (10-26-2012)

PatO is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JROK View Post

I use all the above for my family's security and peace of mind. The majority of places here have window grills so it must be necessary.

I use all the above for my family's security and peace of mind. The majority of homes here have window grills. A large dog is not necessary, a small mean yapper works. There are local breeders here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PatO For This Useful Post:

JROK (10-26-2012)

blueskies is offline DI Member
    Thanks

1.) Fence with welded barbed wire and hide it with plants.
    2.) 2 dogs stays OUTDOOR; a japanese spitz or mini pincher with big/massive greatdane/germansheperd/doberman/bullmanstiff.
    3.) 1 dog stay's INDOOR(a spitz).
    4.) A mother in law on duty during day time...
    5.) Above will cost you more than a 4 camera CCTV set-up. And, only 50% assurance of catching the intruder.
    I think the best one is to have a CCTV and a license GUN(cost u 40K pesos).

good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blueskies For This Useful Post:

JROK (10-26-2012)

redhorse is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I agree with PatO. When I lived in the Philippines in the 1980's, miniature pinschers were very popular, and I always thought they were a good fit - small (cost effective), short hair (for heat tolerance) and "good yappers". On Luzon, at least, there were lots of breeders.

But I wouldn't hesitate to go with a mixed breed puppy as long as I had some idea of what it was going to end up looking like.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to redhorse For This Useful Post:

JROK (10-27-2012)

barkada is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Personally I cant stand yapping dogs, especially the ones in cages that bark at their owners ! Yes to fences but not too high that you cant see out, or in. Grilles on windows are pretty much standard although I am sure that a lot of them could be prised of with a crow bar. Maybe we are just lucky where we live in Banilad but I find that knowing your neighbours and being a good neighbour to them goes a long way towards our security. Touch wood, no problems in 7 years.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to barkada For This Useful Post:

JROK (10-27-2012)

redhorse is offline DI Member
    Thanks

barkada (BARKada? - sorry, couldn't resist given the topic of discussion , I'm with you regarding constant yappers, really mean one that's well behaved but not afraid to raise a ruckus when something's wrong. And good neighbors - worth their weight in gold anywhere, but especially in the Philippines.
    Last edited by redhorse; 10-26-2012 at 07:37 PM.

shadow is online now Administrator
    Thanks

One GOOD guard dog in a fence of some kind is all one really needs. Does not need to be a monster, but needs to be aggressive. Filipinos for the most part are easily intimidated by dogs, especially dogs with wide heads.

Larry
    Pedro and DavyL200 like this.

tessmaro is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Hi,

My name is Tess. Should you still need a guard dog pls contact me art 09173141917. I have one Belgian Malinois, male, 3yrs old, fully trained with german and french commands, dual(guard/attack dog and bomb sniffing at the same time. One of my K9's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast