Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knowdafish

Thread: Where Were You - Kennedy Killing

PatO is online now DI Member
    Thanks

Default Where Were You - Kennedy Killing

While reading the latest book, "The Killing of Kennedy", I could not happen but to zoom backwards and remember where I was when we heard the news - me, Okinawa. Want to share where you were?
    Note: Apologies to my friends and forum members who are fortunate to be too young or unborn at that time.

Charlie T. is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatO View Post
    While reading the latest book, "The Killing of Kennedy", I could not happen but to zoom backwards and remember where I was when we heard the news - me, Okinawa. Want to share where you were?
    Note: Apologies to my friends and forum members who are fortunate to be too young or unborn at that time.

Pat, I do know exactly where I was and how I found out, that is something we are not likely to forget. I was on liberty (day off) for the day from my U.S. Coast Guard duties. I was deer hunting in the Manistee National Forrest near Manistee Michigan. I stopped hunting and went to a little country store to get a bite to eat around 12:30 p.m.. When I went in the few people there were all huddled around a little TV set up on a shelf. Of course I said what is going on ? Then they told me JFK had been shot. The TV said all military personnel were to return immediately to their bases. We didn't know if this was the start of a war or what at that time. So I grabbed a redi-made sandwich to go and was gone on my way back to our C.G. base. I don't think they let me pay for that sandwich if I recall. Nice folks. I had marched in a parade in Washington D.C. for President Kennedy in early 1963. That was a really big deal for us youngsters still in boot camp. For sure I will never forget the day JFK was shot.
    Charlie

expatron is offline DI Member
    Thanks

I was only 4 years old and I remember very clear, in fact it is one of my first memories. I was sitting in front of our family's round tube black and white tv when the news came on. I didn't know who he was, but I knew it was someone very well known .

joseph domaille is offline DI Member
    Thanks

i was in my veg garden in tassie, married with 3 kids under 3 year old, 2 wifes ago. would i like to marry her again NO I WOULD RATHER SHIT IN MY HAND AND CLAP
    cheers

Ten Twenty Lenny is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Working in a Rambler Dealership and when we found out about it .........everyone cried ........ I teared some

Knowdafish is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expatron View Post
    I was only 4 years old and I remember very clear, in fact it is one of my first memories. I was sitting in front of our family's round tube black and white tv when the news came on. I didn't know who he was, but I knew it was someone very well known .
    Same for me, almost to the letter.
    expatron likes this.

Pedro is offline DI Member
    Thanks

What I remember is we were let out of school early, my older classmates were crying and the B-52s from the base next door were scrambling. I knew what those were for so something big was going down.
    "I dream of things that never were, and ask 'why not?'" Robert Kennedy

jmoranfun123 is offline DI Member
    Thanks

i.think.it.was.second'grade......my.teacher.was.cr ying.........

mikemelda is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

I was in 3rd grade, in Philadelphia,MO. A high school student named Anderson came in and told the teacher. She didn't really believe it.I was 7 yrs old at the time.I go home, mom had heard it at the store.If I remember right, that's all that was on tv all weekend.