Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Maintainer/Charger 12v

OnMyWay is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Default Battery Maintainer/Charger 12v

anyone know of a shop that sells Battery Maintainers? AKA trickle chargers or batter tenders.

I travel frequently and would love to have one to connect to my motorbike while it's sitting.

thanks in advance,
    Mark

KTM
    KTM is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Bought one of mine over the internet, the other off a friend who brought some in from the US. Never seen any in DGT. Most auto shops and hardware stores have battery chargers, though never seen trickle chargers here.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Thanks

KTM, yeah I had one in states but it's 110v and would like a 220v unit....

Broadside is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
    anyone know of a shop that sells Battery Maintainers? AKA trickle chargers or batter tenders
    Yes. Bought mine in Handyman for 1899 peso. Panther Battery Charger Model PBC-6A. It has a 6v/12v switch over, operates on 220v, max output 6 amps. Lifetime service warranty. It was at the very far end of Handyman store, on the bottom shelf.

Roger
    Don't be a slave to your past - be the architect of your future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
    Yes. Bought mine in Handyman for 1899 peso. Panther Battery Charger Model PBC-6A. It has a 6v/12v switch over, operates on 220v, max output 6 amps. Lifetime service warranty. It was at the very far end of Handyman store, on the bottom shelf.

Roger
    Looking online and that model just looks like a standard battery charger. Are you sure it's a maintainer or trickle charger??

Broadside is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Oops. Didn't read the thread close enough, but the thread heading says battery maintainer/charger 12v. Apologies
    Don't be a slave to your past - be the architect of your future.

Thanks

ahh shoot, you got my hopes all going. :-(

Yeah, these go by several names like trickle chargers, tenders, maintainer, etc....

thanks anyway though :-)

KTM
    KTM is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
    KTM, yeah I had one in states but it's 110v and would like a 220v unit....
    If you still have it, just buy a voltage regulator available anywhere here and plug it into the 110v socket. If you mess up, plugging it into a 220v socket, then go to Sonic's repair shop, next to Du Ek Sam's bike sales shop, they'll sort out the electronics for you, so speaks the voice of experience with a 'C-Tec' unit bought in the US.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.

culumbinus is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Just disconnect all loads to your battery, clean the terminals, apply a film of petroleum jelly, and it can retain its charge for about ten weeks, as long as you don't put out in the sun to dry out the electrolyte. No need for trickle chargers, if your battery is of reasonably good quality, the leakage current is minimal over such period of time.

With the kind of power supply here in Dumaguete, it is more dangerous to leave a trickle charger plugged in and left for long periods unattended.

Knowdafish is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by culumbinus View Post
    Just disconnect all loads to your battery, clean the terminals, apply a film of petroleum jelly, and it can retain its charge for about ten weeks, as long as you don't put out in the sun to dry out the electrolyte. No need for trickle chargers, if your battery is of reasonably good quality, the leakage current is minimal over such period of time.

With the kind of power supply here in Dumaguete, it is more dangerous to leave a trickle charger plugged in and left for long periods unattended.
    True, as long as it is fully charged (12.7 volts) before putting it into storage.

Yes, it's copy and paste, but I agree with it.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Flooded Lead Acid Battery Storage

Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK. The most important things to avoid:
    Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to battery's plates and container. [Freezing can happen between -19 F (40% charge) and -98 F (fully charged)]
    Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80 F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.
    Step by step storage procedure: 1. Completely charge the battery before storing. 2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements. 3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. Completely charge the battery before re-activating.

I might ad.....

Allowing a battery to sit for extended periods of time fully discharged will ruin it, as will allowing it to run low (below the top of the plates) on water!
    Last edited by Knowdafish; 07-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast