Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: Brit man Facing 7 years in rat infested filipino jail

  1. #21
    TUYOM's Avatar
    TUYOM is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    [QUOTE=peterwoo;1 In this day of age where evolution is the major basis of life and living, every individual should having the f*****g right and will to choose what is good for him. No religion should ever(which some laws are based upon) interfere on individual choices.[/QUOTE]

    So give the f****g chicken his right if he choose to live .

  2. #22
    Mam A's Avatar
    Mam A is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Red face Brit and Pinay in love

    Not everything is conquered by love when it happens this way. Adultery is a nasty thing to engage in. OTOH, love is a many splendored thingy. I'd say--negotiate. A strong supposition rings hard in my mind based on the item I read earlier in one of the entries, that the pregnant girl has been separated from her husband for three some years. Get a good lawyer who has the reputation of really helping. Three years separation might serve as a good ground for settlement. Was the husband actively supporting the Delfino girl during the three years? Did he provide as was/has been his obligation? Did he take good care of the girl during the three years though separated? Offer amicable settlement, take out and offer some money in the negotiation. I am not saying buy a person. What am saying is that tis could be the solution to get out of this mess!




  3. #23
    Timn8ter's Avatar
    Timn8ter is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lucban, Quezon
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swany View Post
    Hey man, you're just a newbie, why don't you introduce yourself if who you are and where you come from, instead of getting irritated on your first post! Jeezz
    I second that Swany. Additionally, labeling the Philippines as a "third world country" is not only inaccurate but a bit derogatory. More correctly, the Philippines is a "developing country".

    On the other hand, the absence of a legal divorce option is very archaic and virtually forces certain individuals into adulterous situations. I'm not saying the Philippines should adopt a "no fault" divorce law but certainly should for cases of abuse, either emotional or physical. This would include, of course, adultery. Those situations are even biblical which a government claiming a Christian base should have no problem adopting.

    This topic may not be directly related to the City of Dumaguete but it is a good reminder to foreigners of the differences in the laws and how they are enforced. Not only are some archaic but they are not enforced equitably. The many individuals in adulterous relationships are known and largely ignored but someone must have had their ego bruised in this situation.
    The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

  4. #24
    Swany is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timn8ter View Post
    I second that Swany. Additionally, labeling the Philippines as a "third world country" is not only inaccurate but a bit derogatory. More correctly, the Philippines is a "developing country".

    On the other hand, the absence of a legal divorce option is very archaic and virtually forces certain individuals into adulterous situations. I'm not saying the Philippines should adopt a "no fault" divorce law but certainly should for cases of abuse, either emotional or physical. This would include, of course, adultery. Those situations are even biblical which a government claiming a Christian base should have no problem adopting.

    This topic may not be directly related to the City of Dumaguete but it is a good reminder to foreigners of the differences in the laws and how they are enforced. Not only are some archaic but they are not enforced equitably. The many individuals in adulterous relationships are known and largely ignored but someone must have had their ego bruised in this situation.
    Thanks for your support and understanding Timn8ter. His derogatory remark about Philippines was kind of inappropriate. I guess he doesn't know much about the country. But jumping in the middle without introducing himself first is not acceptable to me.

    I agree 100% with your comments about legalizing divorce in P.I. Broken marriage are all over the country. There's no way of legalizing the situation but to split and go on separate ways, but children suffer most and usually individuals are driven into a adulterous relationship which is very much against the church.
    Last edited by Swany; 01-19-2008 at 12:34 AM.

  5. #25
    progmeister's Avatar
    progmeister is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ROI
    Posts
    1,015
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swany View Post
    Thanks for your support and understanding Timn8ter. His derogatory remark about Philippines was kind of inappropriate. I guess he doesn't know much about the country. But jumping in the middle without introducing himself first is not acceptable to me.

    I agree 100% with your comments about legalizing divorce in P.I. Broken marriage are all over the country. There's no way of legalizing the situation but to split and go on separate ways, but children suffer most and usually individuals end up in adulterous relationship in which the church greatly opposed.
    Not just derogatory but downright offensive. Ignorance is indeed, bliss.
    Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

  6. #26
    fundiver198 is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Thumbs down The point of the thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RHB View Post
    As far as the poor brit in jail... This is behavior that goes on every day in every province in the Philippines. Between filipinos, and between Filipinos and foreigners. there is no divorce here and common law marriages are frequent. This guy just crossed the wrong individual who had some political connections. nothing exceptional about the circumstance from my seat. But the caution should be, cover your labot, and don't makes assumptions about lax laws in the Philippines, its the people that get you, not the judiciary.
    That is exactly the point in my opinion. The Philippines has a lot of laws, most of them completely ridiculous like this one, and most of them very rarely enforced. But then sometimes they are suddenly enforced with great vigor, because it suits somebodys interests. And thats really all there is to it.

    Unfortunatly the only really lesson to be learned from this story is, that the Philippines is a horrible place to be, because the individual has no rights and no protection at all. So the only sensible thing to do is to leave the country as soon as possible, if you have any chance of doing so at all.

  7. #27
    TodayinPhil is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    China, Russia, Brazil, India..these are examples of developing countries.
    Philippines is a third world country, ranking dead last even within SEAsia in terms of growth.

    I dont think we should call a fatass "thin" just to be polite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timn8ter View Post
    I second that Swany. Additionally, labeling the Philippines as a "third world country" is not only inaccurate but a bit derogatory. More correctly, the Philippines is a "developing country".

    .

  8. #28
    fundiver198 is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Thumbs down Taking advantage of others

    Quote Originally Posted by Mam A View Post
    Not everything is conquered by love when it happens this way. Adultery is a nasty thing to engage in. OTOH, love is a many splendored thingy. I'd say--negotiate. A strong supposition rings hard in my mind based on the item I read earlier in one of the entries, that the pregnant girl has been separated from her husband for three some years. Get a good lawyer who has the reputation of really helping. Three years separation might serve as a good ground for settlement. Was the husband actively supporting the Delfino girl during the three years? Did he provide as was/has been his obligation? Did he take good care of the girl during the three years though separated? Offer amicable settlement, take out and offer some money in the negotiation. I am not saying buy a person. What am saying is that tis could be the solution to get out of this mess!
    Without having any chance of knowing for sure, isn`t that what this case is all about in the first place? The husband pressing charges in the hope to get some money out of this "rich" foreigner in a settlement? These things happen all the time!

    To those (quite a few) who have made moral judgements about adultery in this thread: Yes, adultery is bad, but please try to separate things here. Adultery is a personal matter between the married cupple. It should not be matter for the law at all, and certainly it is not a "crime" worth 7 years in jail.

    This law is completely ridiculous, and if it was really enforced, then at least 50% of the population would be in prison, since filippinos are no different from people in other countrys in this aspect of life. Just as an example, I know two guys in Dumaguete, who are married, but who also have kids with another women (whom they support). And guess what? These guys are not in jail. Why? Well obviously because they are not "rich" foreigners, and their wifes are not friends with the chief of police.

    This nation spend 6 years and a lot of the taxpayers money to prosecute former president Estrada for corruption. And what happens? Two weeks after he is convicted, and before the case has been tried in supreme court, his former vicepresident, who took over his seat, when he left, decides that all charges should be dropped!

    So apparently it is ok to steel several billion peso from the people, if you are president, but if you are a "rich" foreigner and have sex with a married woman, then both of you should go 7 years to jail (or pay a lot of money to her husband).

    What a country and what a farce!

    "Only in the Philippines".

  9. #29
    Timn8ter's Avatar
    Timn8ter is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lucban, Quezon
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TodayinPhil View Post
    China, Russia, Brazil, India..these are examples of developing countries.
    Philippines is a third world country, ranking dead last even within SEAsia in terms of growth.

    I dont think we should call a fatass "thin" just to be polite.
    Well, TiP is gone (don't discount "reincarnation") but I'd still like to try and clear up something about the term "third world" along with "first world" and "second world". These terms did not originate in economics but in Cold War ideology and are no longer used by theorists. The way I hear the term used these days is nearly interchangeable with "backward". Next time you hear "third world" used ask the speaker what he/she would consider "second world".
    I think most people agree the Philippines has problems. The reasons are many and varied but let's not be insulting.
    Last edited by Timn8ter; 01-28-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: speling
    The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    -Robert A. Heinlein




  10. #30
    wretched_hyena's Avatar
    wretched_hyena is offline DI Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timn8ter View Post
    Well, TiP is gone (don't discount "reincarnation") but I'd still like to try and clear up something about the term "third world" along with "first world" and "second world". These terms did not originate in economics but in Cold War ideology and are no longer used by theorists. The way I hear the term used these days is nearly interchangeable with "backward". Next time you hear "third world" used ask the speaker what he/she would consider "second world".
    I think most people agree the Philippines has problems. The reasons are many and varied but let's not be insulting.
    At the same time, regardless of how it started, the term is used and applies to countries where the majority of people live in poverty with little hope for advancement. The key word is underdeveloped, but that can be interpreted more than one way. It's not insulting to say that the Philippines fits the description, it's reality. Gloria says it's not, but she lives in another world.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •