Thread: Hi to all

HiJoe is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Default Hi to all

Hi to all.

Itís nice having found your community of gentle people. Many thanks for this forum.

Iím currently looking for a place to winter in the Philippines. It should be a relatively safe and clean place. It also requires being a good base for trips on motorbike and by plane, which Dumaguete seems to be well situated for.

Reading in your forum leaves me still undecided if Dumaguete is the place Iím looking for. Why not register and ask for your opinions?

Iím middle aged and active person.

My interests are;
    Nature, (stunning Philippines)
    Filipino food
    Filipino people/culture
    Outdoor leisure

I do NOT like; drinking smoking bar-girls

What do you think? Will Dumaguete be a good place for me?
    Is it enough safe to go jogging in the early morning without running into trouble?
    How are foreigner mostly seen in Dumaguete, as people who are involved in good things or in bad things?

Cheers
    HiJoe

PatO is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum HiJoe. Perhaps you could take up scuba diving if you choose Dumaguete and your body is up to it. Lots of hills to climb and trails to ride and of course no shortage of filipino food. Sounds like you are single so this is not a bad place to meet nice girls, and you can take a boat to Cebu, Bohol, Siquijor. However, if I were single, I would not live here but would choose Thailand.

brian ausie is offline DI Member
    Thanks

welcome Hijoe
    there are many things to do with out smoking drinking and bar girls, if you pick your time of day and place jogging is not a problem as in any place here or in your own country, where you from?
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJoe View Post
    Hi to all.

It’s nice having found your community of gentle people. Many thanks for this forum.

I’m currently looking for a place to winter in the Philippines. It should be a relatively safe and clean place. It also requires being a good base for trips on motorbike and by plane, which Dumaguete seems to be well situated for.

Reading in your forum leaves me still undecided if Dumaguete is the place I’m looking for. Why not register and ask for your opinions?

I’m middle aged and active person.

My interests are;
    Filipino food
    Filipino people/culture
    Outdoor leisure

Is it enough safe to go jogging in the early morning without running into trouble?
    How are foreigner mostly seen in Dumaguete, as people who are involved in good things or in bad things?

Cheers
    HiJoe

Thanks

Pat0
    Hello Pat0
    Many thanks! Scuba diving sounds great, even though I’m not that much experienced just dove in Moalboal few years ago. I very much liked it there under water. Why would you choose Thailand instead of the Philippines? What’s the advantage? I’ve never been there… maybe it will be a good trip out of the Philippines… will see. Filipinas, yeah easy to fall in love with them… However, it’s still in my mind to find Miss Perfect. Who knows where it’ll happen, I’ve plenty of time for that…

Brian ausie
    Hi Brian
    Thank you for advice. Yeah, first I was convinced that Dumaguete is great place to go as there are many things to do. After reading in this forum I got uncertain. Having read that crime seems to be quiet a big issue as well as pollution. Moreover, seeing that people try to compare Dumaguete with Angeles makes me think about what kind of foreigners goes there. I don‘t like to be seen as sicko when walking thru the city. Don’t like it when I get offered dirty things every twenty meters. Therefore I asked how foreigners are being seen by the locals…
    I’m from Switzerland; just got lucky to be born in this spot of the world… here I can go jogging 24/7 without running into trouble (Just back from the city 2am by bicycle). Even so, I’m aware that this isn’t the case all over, that’s why I was asking…. Some quotes say there are plenty of joggers in Dumaguete around sunrise others mention just the crime… so I had to ask… maybe one of these statements are just totally wrong or not up to date.

PatO is offline DI Member
    Thanks

HiJoe, I have to apologize, Miss Perfect is taken, I married her a couple of years ago. lol. Interesting question on Thailand vs. PI. I like Phuket more than any place in the Philippines, although homes are now too expensive, too many foreigners buying and raising the price. I love Thai food and I don't care for Philippines cuisine, just my personal taste. The Thai women, well I better not comment, I have female friends on the forum and my wife might peak at my posts. Singapore is a short flight from some cities, and you can fly up north, go down to undeveloped beach areas around Trang, lie down in Hua Hin and have fresh seafood daily, or go to sin city and have great meals and fun.
    However, as a married man, I prefer the Philippines and for a wife I prefer a filipina. Fyi, my last wife was Thai from the south so I have a unique (and costly) experience.

Dave & Imp is offline DI Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiJoe View Post
    Hi to all.

Itís nice having found your community of gentle people. Many thanks for this forum.

Iím currently looking for a place to winter in the Philippines. It should be a relatively safe and clean place. It also requires being a good base for trips on motorbike and by plane, which Dumaguete seems to be well situated for.

Reading in your forum leaves me still undecided if Dumaguete is the place Iím looking for. Why not register and ask for your opinions?

Iím middle aged and active person.

My interests are;
    Filipino food
    Filipino people/culture
    Outdoor leisure

Cheers
    HiJoe
    I have been in Dumaguete for 9 months now. If you do not like drinking, smoking, or bar-girls with just a little self control you will not have to encounter any of those in Dumaguete. Of coarse if you change you mind they are all available but not advertised.

The general Dumaguete area has some nice natural and romantic places to visit....with waterfalls, lakes, and Filipino themed restaurants.

I enjoy exploring so I try to travel every couple of weeks. You did not mention boats, and I find those and buses very good methods of travel. I try to take both of these on night runs so I can sleep and arrive at my destinations in the morning, losing little daylight as possible. Dumaguete being a port town, has a lot of boats travel to different areas at very reasonable costs. Many air flights require going to Manila before flying out to the final desitination. This is time consuming and expensive. I ride a motorcycle but do not enjoy long rides over an hour one way. I do have friends who love to ride for hours as many days as they butts can handle. My travels so far have take me to Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Zomboaga City and Cagayon del Oro in Mindanao, Purerta Princess, and Leyte. I have not found a nicer place than Dumaguete on those travels.

One thing that has not been brought up is the weather, Dumaguete seems to have been weather than Luzon, not as much typhoon activities. It can be warm at times, but generally you can find a cooler spot by going to Valencia.

I hope this helps you a little.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave & Imp For This Useful Post:

HiJoe (07-29-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatO View Post
    HiJoe, I have to apologize, Miss Perfect is taken, I married her a couple of years ago. lol. Interesting question on Thailand vs. PI. I like Phuket more than any place in the Philippines, although homes are now too expensive, too many foreigners buying and raising the price. I love Thai food and I don't care for Philippines cuisine, just my personal taste. The Thai women, well I better not comment, I have female friends on the forum and my wife might peak at my posts. Singapore is a short flight from some cities, and you can fly up north, go down to undeveloped beach areas around Trang, lie down in Hua Hin and have fresh seafood daily, or go to sin city and have great meals and fun.
    However, as a married man, I prefer the Philippines and for a wife I prefer a filipina. Fyi, my last wife was Thai from the south so I have a unique (and costly) experience.
    Hello Pat0
    Happy to hear that you’ve found Miss Perfect after having had your costly experience, hehe
    Phuket is quiet famous, also here. Maybe that’s the reason I’ve never traveled there although flights can be very cheap from here to there
    Had a quick google for Hua Hin, looks very much not bad…. Have you ever had communication problems when being there? I think language is the biggest fear I would have to travel there. Who knows, maybe I’ll go for a quick visit before putting it on my list of countries to be explored thoroughly.
    Thai women, maybe you can tell me the secret about them personally sometime

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Imp View Post
    I have been in Dumaguete for 9 months now. If you do not like drinking, smoking, or bar-girls with just a little self control you will not have to encounter any of those in Dumaguete. Of coarse if you change you mind they are all available but not advertised.

The general Dumaguete area has some nice natural and romantic places to visit....with waterfalls, lakes, and Filipino themed restaurants.

I enjoy exploring so I try to travel every couple of weeks. You did not mention boats, and I find those and buses very good methods of travel. I try to take both of these on night runs so I can sleep and arrive at my destinations in the morning, losing little daylight as possible. Dumaguete being a port town, has a lot of boats travel to different areas at very reasonable costs. Many air flights require going to Manila before flying out to the final desitination. This is time consuming and expensive. I ride a motorcycle but do not enjoy long rides over an hour one way. I do have friends who love to ride for hours as many days as they butts can handle. My travels so far have take me to Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Zomboaga City and Cagayon del Oro in Mindanao, Purerta Princess, and Leyte. I have not found a nicer place than Dumaguete on those travels.

One thing that has not been brought up is the weather, Dumaguete seems to have been weather than Luzon, not as much typhoon activities. It can be warm at times, but generally you can find a cooler spot by going to Valencia.

I hope this helps you a little.

Hi Dave
    Many thanks. Yeah this helps me. You did pretty much so as I like to do. Only that I wanna do it within three or four months.
    Have you also been on Panay? I would very much like to travel there. Planning Iloilo Roxas Kalibo, then the conservation area and down the cost again and this by motorbike. Talking about motorbike, someone told me that it’s not allowed to have a motorbike shipped to the Philippines by law. Did one of your friends bring their own bike from abroad? If it’s a big hassle I just leave it and rent one as usually. However it was still nice to have my own bike there... as I usually rent just a small one which isn’t that much fun…