An almost perfect example of dumb-ass logic (or the lack of it) by the hierarchy of a government empire, with the head of it flexing his muscles to show that he is boss, and working completely at odds with the Tourism Board who want people to visit. It is no surprise that most countries in south-east Asia get continued repeat visitors; Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia all do very well, while the Philippines gets very little. Many come here as a first-time visitor but have no wish to come back when they experience the rip-offs, price gouging, and mindless bureacracy.
1. The requirement of return or onward tickets is not an international rule and is not a worldwide practice.
2. The Bureau does have a choice of implementing the law or not, but like most mini empires here is selective on what it enforces and who it enforces it against.
3. Commissioner Ricardo Davids' own department is the very department that grants visa extensions, up to a maximum of 24 months for tourists, and the fact that someone has an onward ticket is no guarantee that they will actually use it.
4. If Balikbayans are admitted for one year without an onward ticket, there is also no guarantee that they will leave after 1 year.
5. Some travellers visit a number of countries on a fixed itinery. Others like the freedom of choice. They may visit one place and if they like it stay longer. They may not have decided which place to visit next, particularly if they are people like gap year students, taking time out to explore the world between leaving high school and starting university. They would also buy the ticket to the next place in this country, and be more likely to use one of the Philippines airlines. More revenue lost because of this idiotic ruling.
6. The Tourism Board says "we want you to stay". The Immigration Commissioner says "I want you to leave". No joined-up thinking or logic, reason or rationale.
I smell a rat. Immigration find a reason to deny entry and blame the airline. Threatened with a large official fine and bad publicity, the airline opts to pay a smaller unnoffical fine quietly.
If this rule is implemented, then I hope that other nations reciprocate this crass stupidity. There will be plane loads of OFWs being returned without ever having had access to their jobs.
Don't be a slave to your past - be the architect of your future.