Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Wrye83, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,691 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've recently purchased an Audible subscription (audio books app/website). So far I've downloaded 3 books. One was a top rated/recommended book by users on the app (which I thought was just ok) and the other two were books I have heard people reference for a long time but had never took the time to order/find the books.

Would be interested to hear some recommendations from the users here.

BTW: The 3 books I currently have on the app are:
    1. 1984 (Currently listening)
    2. Atlas Shrugged (Next up. 63 hours of audio on this one. :o o:)
    3. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (This wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Turned out to be a short "self help" book.)

2. cabb

cabb DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +447 / -0
    Lord of the Flies was an interesting take on society and how it get's implemented by children stranded on an island.

Recommendation from TheDude in another thread. On my list of things to do.....

"Book recommendation on the subject. It's a great book and I'm going to read it again. I lost my book notes when someone stole my cellphone. Grr.

Against Democracy"

Most people believe democracy is a uniquely just form of government. They believe people have the right to an equal share of political power. And they believe that political participation is good for us—it empowers us, helps us get what we want, and tends to make us smarter, more virtuous, and more caring for one another. These are some of our most cherished ideas about democracy. But, Jason Brennan says, they are all wrong.

In this trenchant book, Brennan argues that democracy should be judged by its results—and the results are not good enough. Just as defendants have a right to a fair trial, citizens have a right to competent government. But democracy is the rule of the ignorant and the irrational, and it all too often falls short. Furthermore, no one has a fundamental right to any share of political power, and exercising political power does most of us little good. On the contrary, a wide range of social science research shows that political participation and democratic deliberation actually tend to make people worse—more irrational, biased, and mean. Given this grim picture, Brennan argues that a new system of government—epistocracy, the rule of the knowledgeable—may be better than democracy, and that it's time to experiment and find out.

A challenging critique of democracy and the first sustained defense of the rule of the knowledgeable, Against Democracyis essential reading for scholars and students of politics across the disciplines.

With a URL name like this you can't go wrong. :smile:
    The Greatest Books: The Best Books - 1 to 50

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Wrye83

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,691 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Read that one in high school. Would probably appreciate more now but not sure I want to drop money on it.

Against Democracy sounds very interesting.

My high school English teachers must have had a look at that list. I've read many of them already. And not one SciFi book in the list?

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +326 / -0
    I read novels very little - preferring general news and information - so I cannot be a good guide. However, a book that has stuck in my mind for a long time is 'The Poisonwood Bible' but, as with all things, I am not aware of your specific tastes in literature. My ex-wife is an avid reader and I could ask her if you give some ideas of your genres - but I know she will NOT be into sci-fi.

Knowing a bit about you from what you post here, would "On the Launch Pad: A Counting Book About Rockets" be of interest? Or perhaps "How to get corn out of your *ss in 3 easy moves" (I must admit, I don't think it has been written yet but it is a project I may consider if there is a demand).

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Marines Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,154 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am sure they did not have you read "The Creature from Jekyll Island", also sure you would like it. (No it is not a script from a 1950s 'B' movie)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +985 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    LOST ME! :bookworm:

7. OP
    OP
    Wrye83

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,691 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I googled that phrase.....don't make the same mistake by doing it with "safe search" turned off. :sick:

Rule 34

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +326 / -0
    I am confused ... I know you are a clever man, but how the hell did you know 'MOVE 1' is "don't make the same mistake by doing it with "safe search" turned off."??? Wizardry (especially as I haven't even written the book yet!). :speechless:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Wrye83

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,691 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I was on Jekyll Island last year and heard some of the local history (side note: the island appears to have lost much of its glory from the great depression era....and not one bar on the entire beach. :meh:). Figured it would be something about the rich/Federal Reserve.

The book description and reviews make it sound kind of conspiracy theory-ish or Alex Jones-ish; some truth to it but with quite a bit of fabrication, "alternative facts" or political ideology/opinion inserted into it. I don't have a problem with that stuff being inserted into books....so long as they are on the "fiction" shelf, are in an autobiography or are extremely clear about pushing a specific ideology. I prefer to be given facts or told a story about how things could go badly if "insert idea(s)" got out of control and then come to my own conclusions about it. (Though I don't want everything I download to be about politics. Much like watching main-stream media, that will get old quite quickly.)

Is that a book or are you generally not interested in science fiction? :rolleyes:

Because move 1 was to see if someone else had beat you to it. 7+ billion people in the world, there was a chance that someone else had already written about it. Unfortunately, lots of people have taken it a bit further and made video tutorials for "How to get corn out of your *ss" already. I don't think the focus is so much on the "out part"....but I suspect almost all of them, very graphically, answer that question. :vomit:

10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,112 / -3
    Antifragile by Nassim Taleb. To get an idea of his style of writing, check out some of his early release material for his next book.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb – Medium

I have been attempting to devise a filter to deal with information overload. Asking about book recommendations may be the wrong approach. More useful might be to ask about authors (for both books and articles).

Another approach is to investigate subjects you're interested in. Using tools like Google Scholar, you can find published articles, citations, authors and a sort of timeline. You can see which names appear repeatedly, when they appear and which papers seem to be the big fish in the space. Skim through some of the well cited material as well as some of the newer material. That will give you an idea on the edge state of these subjects. What you find in this search is the material which a book would likely be based on.

This also arms you with a bullshit detector of sorts. I have started on best-seller books written by reporters only to find out that the latest research indicates that the entire subject may just be vapor space. The people these reporters are citing aren't ready to make the same claims these reporters run with and may just dissolve into nothing. There has been a lot of great science which has later been shot down. That doesn't make the contributions any less brilliant, but you wouldn't want to read a reporter's throw away rehashing of the material.

You could use a similar approach by reading through the list of citations in the back of a good quality book. Knowledge is iterative, it stands on the shoulders of giants. The more excellent authors you find citing the same work, the more influential that work is to our current state of knowledge. In those books, you will likely find yet more cited works and you can trace this lineage back to our earliest thinkers.

I don't know about fiction. That's an area which I need to explore more. I suppose you could do similar as above though. Every author was inspired by someone. Every genre has had its defining works.

Awards might be another clue. Hopefully less of a circus than the movie awards space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1