Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromecast Media Streaming Device

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by KINGCOLE, Jan 14, 2017.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +914 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I recently upgraded my Globe Broadband Plan to 1299, which gives me 100GB @ 10Mbps, plus an extra P99 I also got the Chromecast media streaming device. It plugs into the HDMI port on your TV and allows you to watch programme from the internet. It is compatible
    with iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, Mac, Windows laptop, or Chromebook. Now I don't have to watch all the s**t on Fil Products. My daughter pointed me to Free Movies - Watch Your Favorite Movies Online | 123movies.to, fantastic selection of adult entertainment. I'm sure there are a lot more sites, so maybe other members can put them on the forum.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / -2
    Can you get USA news programs? And are these devices sold locally.

3. shotshapers

shotshapers DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / -0
    yes sold locally as google have a lock on these (so you cant buy one in usa and have it work here), but they are cheap as chips
    i use it along with mobdro, to watch all sports, if your internet speed is decent and stable, you can watch all live games no bother

as for watching movies ( i find it best to actually download movies and watch them as i want) for that i use a vpn (very important) plenty of free vpn's out there to mask your ip then you can download from piratebay

thats my tuppence worth

chromecast just lets you stream from your phone/laptop to your tv

4. pedro_lopez

pedro_lopez DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    And what is your internet speed you are receiving??

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
    • List
  5. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +914 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    8.51 Mbps down & 0.97 Mbps up at this time, but varies with time of day, holidays and week-ends.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +62 / -0
    I have 15 mps with Globe and am lucky to get 4

7. NYC

NYC DI Member ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +96 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have no concept of what 100GB in real terms of usage. Can you (or any computer techie here) estimate how many feature length movies in standard definition that might be?

8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Marines Air Force

Ratings:
    +838 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    General average for standard definition movie - with decent compression - figure on 1GB per movie. When I download movies and tv shows it can be anywhere from 20-50GB for a couple dozen (I usually save up and download on another sim using time so it doesn't go against my monthly data limit). If I stream Netflix and youtube throughout the day and my wife streams music and youtube and on facebook, we have used 2-3 GB in a day. We currently use 100GB+ a month.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Johnson504

Johnson504 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    So you have to use a VPN no matter what? I am a little skeptical about using free programs like this, so what would your suggestion be? I found this https://securethoughts.com/vpn-review/ in my research, does anyone have experience with any of them? Also, you said that I can't buy it in the US and have it work there. I am planning on moving and already have Chromecast. Would a VPN enable mine from here in the US to work there in Dumaguete? Thanks!

10. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +8,867 / -7
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've had a paid account with HMA for years. Anytime you use a VPN your connection is going to slow a bit. It's just the way it is. The faster your internet connection the better.

I thought Chromecast devices only projected video from one device to another. It's been a very long time since I looked at that tech though. As for it working alongside a VPN: that depends how the service blocks certain regions. If it is an IP based block a VPN will work. If a service checks the device for what region it was originally sold for you are going to have some issues.

Examples:
    Netflix only checks IP addresses. So you could use a VPN to easily access their services.

The Google Play Store goes by the device production/sale location and IP location. So if your device was purchased in the Philippines and that region was coded into the device the Play Store will block things that are restricted to the US or European markets (even if you are in the US with that device).

If you have a device that was sold in the US (with US coding) and your IP address changes to the Philippines it will also block apps/services that are only intended for sale/use in the US. So a US device using a VPN pointed at a US IP address would work fine in the Philippines.

These things change all the time, along with potential solutions to the problems) so you would have to search online for your specific device and the service you are wanting to access.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017