Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review I am kuripot now

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dave_Hounddriver, May 17, 2017.

1. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,791 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Anyone that knows how to use a map and do maths does.

Why Not to Robinsons is right around 2km.

1st km is 8 pesos. Second is P0.50.
    8+0.5=8.5
    Round up since the ride is slightly over 2km and you have P9. Since P10 coins are a thing I would give them a P1 tip and hand over a P10 coin.

My phone has a map app that makes finding distances very easy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Marines Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,159 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    soooo, everyone has to buy a data promo (I have text only), and have a smart phone, and have a connection, and show the driver, and it agrees with his phone but he uses a different map..... Easy for you is not necessarily easy or affordable or capable for someone else.

Easy would be a simple scale with a few examples of point to point trips so everyone can use the same scale.

3. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,791 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most locals do have a smartphone. You can download the maps at home on WiFi and use the app offline.

Modern maps are not going to be that far off from each other. GPS tracking will tell you exactly how far your trip was anyways. If he pulls out some antique map of Dumaguete from the 1920s then pay the guy according to the distance on his map just because he had a map of Dumaguete from the 1920. I'd give him a hundred for the trip for making me laugh.

Then get better at judging distances. Prepare yourself and become familiar with the city and how far your regular stops are from each other. If you aren't willing to help yourself then I don't know what to tell ya.

So do that then. A trike driver KNOWS how far he drove and what the legal fair was. If you don't then that's on you. If you do know you can call their bluff and tell them to go to the police when they want to try to price gouge you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And THIS Folks; is WHY I take my Wife with me everywhere! IMPOSSIBLE to rip me off when the Wife holds the money! :biggrin: lol

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Marines Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,159 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not an issue for me anymore but can raise it's ugly head like it did to Dave and he started this thread. Many members when new here help themselves by asking correct prices here on the forum (I certainly did). There is 'technically correct', what actually happens on a daily basis, and those trying to take advantage of passengers that don;t know the difference. A new person studying a map and calculating 'correct' prices may or may not be in the 'acceptable to the driver' range.

My comment that started this part of the discussion was merely highlighting the difference between Manila regulated taxi fares and Duterte's comment about overcharging vs the Dumaguete trike driver's per km price schedule that probably has never ever been used except by some of us silly foreigners. Have you, or have you ever heard of anyone, been told by a trike driver 'that was 2 kilometers Sir, 9 pesos please'? I'm guessing hahahaha nope! is the answer. Hard to prove overcharging based on a system noone uses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wrye83

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,791 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In the 3rd world country you are about to get overcharged when you ask "how much?"....especially with public transportation, but it applies to a lot of other things as well. Most passengers and trike drivers do not actually discuss the fare at any point. They know how much it costs and they pay without speaking about it. If you do the same you will usually hear little protest from the drivers. If a driver wants to negotiate a price before you get in you are about to get ripped off.

Get in, tell the driver where you want to go (if he asked how much get out and find another driver), when you arrive pay what you owe, which you should now know, and give a little tip (5-10 pesos) on top of the regular fare if he didn't drive like a crazy person and if you feel like it. If they yell something nasty at your just smile, wave and keep walking, you probably won't see him again anyways (because he will remember your kuripot long nose and probably not stop next time he sees you lol).

While using this silent method I have actually given a driver a 20 peso bill (for a 10 peso ride) and waited for my change with my hand held out (still without saying a word), which he gave with no protest or hesitation. I've also had some not want to give me change...so that depends on the driver a bit I suppose. I prefer to just call those drivers kuripot, forget the P10 and get out. :hilarious:

Note: these fares only apply within Dumaguete city limits.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Outcast

Outcast DI Member

Ratings:
    +110 / -0
    Using a littel common sense, if you can find some, will go a long way. If you are in the trike for 5 minutes and he wants P300, chances are you are being raped. If he wants p20, give it to him with a smile.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,655 / -2
    I gave your post a "conditional like" but Dustin did not add an icon for it so let me explain.

Most 5 minute rides on a trike that is picking up additional fares when available are not worth more than 10 pesos per person and that is what I would offer, BUT I like what you are saying, because if the trike driver says that is not enough and he wants 20 for that ride I am going to give it to him with a smile and realize: Lesson learned, next time tell in advance where you are going and what you will pay and let him decide in advance if that is enough.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,620 / -0
    Similar thing i did when coming back from cebu,once i got to sibulan port i needed to get back to bacong,so as usual the price gougers were at the port looking for victims.
    They asked where and i said bacong,they will be p500,or p450 was the best so just walked on and anotjer guy turned up and said p250 to bacong,no problem,thought that was ok from sibulan!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Member

Ratings:
    +144 / -0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    First time I visit Dumaguete, more than 6 years ago, I took a trike from pier to hotel, 500 peso. I lost my temper, told him he was an idiot, racist and more bad words.\,paid 300 peso. Today I laugh at it, not that complicated to take a trike, City are 10 peso, out of city like Lee Plaza to Bacong, i ask 100 peso, they always say yes, I tip 20-50 peso. Always decide what you will pay, and ask if that okay, easy. I look at driver and trikes condition to, no shabu head or shaky trike to me, lol

er,
    ld the driver, he was a piece of sh*t, idiot, racist and and use a lot of bad words, lol. I pay 300 peso in the end, today I learned to navigate and control my temper to. I walk 100 meter from pier now and pay normal rate. Life is to short to argue with trike drivers. I meet a good guy and ask hes phone number

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017