Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics & Appliances pointing an internet antenna?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by kelpguy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +278 / -0
    this would be of interest to members having internet signal strength issues.
    i live in the bush about 10km from duma and 6 from dauin. there's no globe/smart signal pointed up here that i know of and we have a lousy pocket wifi signal so, out of desperation, i purchased and installed a parabolic antenna about a year ago and pointed it to the strongest signal i could find using a laptop to monitor the signal strength and speed. it worked great but about every 6 months or so the signal weakens to the point of useless so i hafta go up on the roof and turn the antenna mast til i get a decent signal.

recently, after weeks of miserable signal/data transfer, we recently repointed the antenna using an app named ''Open Signal'' and it's free at the Play Store.

it has several neat features, one being a compass like device that points at the strongest signal. there's also a map that shows all the cell towers in the area, i was amazed to see how many antennas there actually are and where they are located. it 's also useful for travelers looking for the best wifi signal.

3G 4G WiFi Maps & Speed Test - Android Apps on Google Play

now i'm looking for an app to control the volume on a neighbors sound system...

btw... i get a million pisos for every new Open Signal download due to my post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,350 / -7
    Blood Type:
    O+
  3. mokum

mokum DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

retired
    Ratings:
    +385 / -3
    "now i'm looking for an app to control the volume on a neighbors sound system..".

Trowing stones on his roof. It worked for me

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +278 / -0
    well, shucks.... that probably explains why there's no deposits from Open Signal made to my bank acct.

thanks mokum but the self appointed neighborhood DJ has a native roof so that won't work but throwing stones on roofs seems to popular here. we have another neighbor who throws rocks, big ones, on metal roofs when he's upset about something. i could write a book about this guy but he's in his 50's and has the grey matter of a 5 year old. every two months, the health dept injects him with something that calms him down. i can't imagine a drug that works for 2 months but it works pretty good.

5. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,350 / -7
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Used to have a neighbor that got drunk as a skunk around 7-8am, remained that way all day, turned on Fox News and started screaming nonsense about Obama and Democrats at the top of his lungs while watching the TV (loud enough to be heard by half the Barangay). When it started getting old I used to take rocks and throw them at his metal roof. He'd come stumbling out with a knife and start screaming a bunch of racist sh*t about Filipinos and how he was going to "cut the jungle monkey" throwing rocks at his roof. :hilarious: Didn't take long for the locals to call the police on him and for the landlord to give him the boot.