Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Transportation in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Dr. Shiva, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +172 / -0
    Blood Type:
    O-
    • This post (and a few that followed) were moved here to keep another thread on topic.
    One thing I did noticed that only few people are using the buses for rides only inside Dumaguete. Can it be that the bus is too expensive just for rides inside Dumaguete? Using more buses just for the city and the suburban area should help to decongest the city if many tricycles are banned from main streets. But changing vehicles will increase the costs of travel.
    There are some city jeepney routes in Dumaguete, but they not cross the downtown area. And the crazy one-way system makes everything worse.

2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +890 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I *thought* the Ceres Buses only covered from the Terminal to other Barangays outside of Dumaguete City? Same for the Jeepneys? I assumed the Jeepneys waited at their selected terminals to ferry passengers to other Barangays/Towns outside of the City, not ferrying them around the inner City.

For inner City commuting; I *thought* this was the domain of the Tricycles.

Sometimes we have managed to catch a 'Bus' home, if you can call it that, as it appears to be a glorified Jeepney made in the image of a Bus, in the same way the local Jeepneys are made using what appears to be re-bar and scrap metal, very unlike the design/quality of an actual Ceres Buses...

Maybe it is time they pushed for more Electric Bikes in place of OLD Tricycles that are past their use by date to clean up the City. :o o:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +890 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    *Isn't this what they do in Cebu? I noticed while we were there that the Tricycles only seemed to operate out of the City in outer suburbs. But then Dumaguete does not have actual Taxi Cabs from what I have seen so that would probably create more problems than not...

But; A Park'nRide using small Buses (hopefully LPG powered) that could comfortably carry 30 people would in effect remove 30 Motorbikes from the inner city traffic problem per Bus and greatly decrease the pollution problem at the same time. :thumbsup:
    Maybe 15 if carrying the missus.. :smile:
    Probably 2 if the Rider is transporting the family... :whistling: :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +253 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I wish riding bicycles becomes popular in the future. It's a tiny city, maybe bicycles for rent on both ends of downtown? But then again it's hot the whole year round :hmmm: not to mention creating jobs for the trike drivers.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  5. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +890 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Bicycle Riders are very hated in most Western countries as very very few obey the road rules, I dread to think what it would be like here with several hundred loose on Bicycles in the city center added to the rest of the law abiding locals (and those foreigners who think laws do not apply to them...) :rolleyes:

6. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +253 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That brings it back to the main solution: People Reform :smuggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Forum Adept Highly Rated Poster Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +253 / -0
    The Netherlands is among the Western European countries, well I can tell you if you are riding a bicycle there and you are thinking the PH way, better have a well filled up wallet for all those tickets you will get. Law enforcing is there why laws are made for. Not in the PH of course and only for foreigners to obey certainly not the locals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,576 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You probably don't. Go to Catarman, Northern Samar to see how that works out for them. Pedicabs (not the Dumaguete type, the ones you actually peddle) and bicycles on public roads in the Philippines makes me want to :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. Downright dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +890 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Try Zamboanguita you mean? Pedicabs (YES the ones you peddle not Motorised) often block the main Highway causing road blocks as they dawdle along at a snails pace... I could see downtown Dumaguete 1000x worse if Bicycles and Pedicabs were allowed on the roads there enmasse! :biggrin:

10. Wrye83

Wrye83 DI Forum Luminary Admin Secured Account Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +9,576 / -8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I used Catarman as an example because it is one of the larger towns/cities (~100k people) I've been to that primarily uses pedicabs and bicycles within the city limits. I don't think I've ever seen so many bicycles/pedicabs in one place. It is a very slow moving city and getting through in a car would be even slower.

• Informative Informative x 2