Dumaguete Info Search

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Grocery The price of Tang

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Notmyrealname, Apr 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +605 / -0
    With NK being nice and China returning all the disputed islands (just joking!), it is now time to consider other important World issues: The price of Tang has rocketed (can Mr Wyre please check if this is technically correct) - going from about P9.50 to P16 overnight.

I stopped buying and I note (without inferring any connection) that the shelves are full of the product when they used to have a fast turnover. It would be difficult to think of a reason for such a massive increase when the product is small and contains so few ingredients.

They are doing a few promos now and I wonder if it is a case of soon finding 'Promo: Buy 10 Tangs and get a free car'.

In case anyone does not know what I am talking about (there is a large club you can join that I have built up over many years), 'Tang' is a fruit drink in many flavors* (I only like 'orange' and 'strawberry') but you find it tastes best if you add water. [* This misspelling ( :smile: ) is an acknowledgement of the many US citizens on this site].

• Funny Funny x 6
  2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +408 / -0
    My guess would be 50/50, the new sugar tax and the other greed tax claiming its because of the sugar tax. I don't think its because of the astronauts that loved it while in space LOL

3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +983 / -0
    I don't think there is any sugar in Tang. There are artificial sweeteners for sure. Misinterpreting a law perhaps?

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +307 / -0
    No matter what a raise from 9 to 16 peso is really outrageous.

5. cabb

cabb DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +573 / -0
    There could be a shortage due to high demand or maybe the Hunt Brothers are buying up the supply and trying to corner the market. It looks like like the next best thing to a fountain of youth based on the ingredients below.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Tang-healthy
    Tang may be orange in color, but it is definitely not orange juice. According to its label, Tang contains the following ingredients: Sugar, Fructose, Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Orange Juice Solids, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Maltodextrin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, and Neotame (Sweeteners) Guar and Xanthan Gums (Provide Body) Artificial Color, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, BHA (to Help Protect Flavor).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cabb

Ratings:
    +573 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,990 / -2
    I don't buy 12 packs of soda, but I can tell you that one can of soda water in a restobar cost me 80 pesos the other day when a beer would have been 50. The soda water and beer used to be similar in price. Funny thing is, I drink soda water as there is less sugar in it than in beer. (To be more precise, beer increases my blood sugar more once consumed.)

8. Wrye83

Wrye83 with pastrami Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +10,515 / -10
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I like this. I see a much larger percentage of the population that would be considered obese than I did 10+ years ago. Hiking prices on sugar will also make their food much tolerable. Hopefully they will stop putting sugar in everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cabb

Ratings:
    +573 / -0
    You had me scared for a second there as I chose beer over an occasional a soda since I'm a type 2. I compared coke to my favorite high octane beer (10.2%) Boulevard Sixth Glass (A quadruple Belgian Ale) with a whopping 306 calories. I've added a Red Horse too. It looks like you should go back to beer. I'm not a doctor, but it seems odd that a product with less carborhydrates and less sugar would increase your sugar levels more.

I don't think it's alcohol either.
    This is a common myth since over-consumption of calories from alcohol can quickly make you fat. But it's not because alcohol is transformed into sugar in your body – it's because of the way it is metabolized and stored as fat.

From Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.46.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.46.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.01.40 PM.png

10. Wrye83

Wrye83 with pastrami Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

Electronic Warfare
    Ratings:
    +10,515 / -10
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you have diabetes moderate intake of alcohol can cause your blood sugar to rise. Excessive alcohol intake can cause your blood sugar to drop to dangerous levels.

Diabetes and Alcohol

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1